Marketing & Promotions Coordinator at Detroit Symphony Orchestra (US)
How to Apply: A cover letter is required for consideration of this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address:
• your specific interest in the position and working at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra
• outline your skills and experience that directly relate to the responsibilities of this role
The Organization: The Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) is known internationally for trailblazing performances, collaborations with the world’s foremost musical artists, and a deep commitment to serving our community. Making its home in historic Orchestra Hall at the Max M. and Marjorie S. Fisher Music Center, the DSO actively pursues its vision to be an inclusive and culturally relevant community where all people can experience their world through music.
The DSO is a complex organization. Operating 365 days per year in historic Orchestra Hall, one of America’s most acoustically perfect concert halls, we are a performing arts institution, an educational facility, and a community center. We are governed by an independent Board of Directors and employ both union and non-union employees as musicians, stage crew, and administrative staff. Creating a unified culture throughout the institution is an organizational imperative, and we are guided by our values of excellence, diversity, resilience, collaboration, and innovation.
The DSO’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is paramount to who we are; we work to create an environment where all employees are seen, valued, and supported to enable their best every day. This is essential as we pursue our mission to impact lives through unforgettable musical experiences by sustaining a world class orchestra for the city of Detroit and the global community.
The DSO offers a unique, fast-paced working environment, an excellent overall compensation package, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information visit www.dso.org.
Position Summary: The Marketing & Promotions Coordinator works closely with the Marketing and Audience Development team and reports to the Director of Growth & Acquisition. Primary responsibilities include managing day to day relationships with media vendors, coordinating promotions, copywriting, identifying and tracking marketing partnerships, and providing administrative support to the DSO’s Marketing and Audience Development department. This position requires strong attention to detail and excellent customer service skills to interact with internal and external stakeholders. This position provides the opportunity to learn and grow in a fast-paced marketing team within the performing arts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Media and Advertising
- Proactively manage all day-to-day relationships with media vendors and coordinate all media deliverables for radio, print, and out-of-home advertising.
- Coordinate production for radio advertising. Includes:
- updating the production schedule
- writing and delivering radio advertising scripts
- coordinating all other deliverables with radio station representatives
- coordinating with the box office for the delivery of tickets for on-air giveaways.
- Participate and contribute to marketing copywriting of emails, social media, website, and printed materials as needed.
- Proofread and copyedit marketing campaign materials as requested.
Promotions and Grassroots Marketing
- Work closely with the Director, Marketing Growth & Acquisition and Senior Director, Marketing & Audience Development to identify prospects in the community for future marketing partnerships.
- Record, maintain, and track existing community and group partnerships for: promotions and discounts, acquisition and audience growth, audience diversity initiatives
- Execute online research to find potential marketing partners and new audience targets. Reach out via email or phone to establish and cultivate connections.
- Coordinate campaign implementation and grassroots marketing to specific communities for concerts. Includes: identifying vendors, coordinating flyers and street teams, prepping digital promotion packages for community and venue partners, other forms of niche marketing.
- Plan and execute cross-promotions with local arts and cultural organizations, educational partners and universities, as well as corporate partners and sponsors. Coordinate list or email trades and third-party event listings as needed.
- Plan and execute promotions for comp tickets through established contacts and other targeted groups to reach concert hall capacity goals.
- Compile analysis of promotion success from partner discounts and make recommendations for future campaigns.
- Organize logistics and staff DSO tables at community festivals and events. Includes: coordinating with location, requesting marketing collateral and other items needed, ordering branded merchandise for giveaways
Provide strong and proactive administrative support for the following:
- Maintaining marketing timelines and supporting the department to meet its many production deadlines, update promotional plans, task calendars, and actively sending reminders to marketing staff.
- Assist the Marketing Projects Specialist in maintaining a catalog of samples of all printed marketing materials and stocking shelves.
- Assist with coding marketing invoices for payment.
- Assist the Loyalty Marketing Strategist with planning and being onsite for concert activations.
- Assist the marketing team with scheduling meetings and notetaking.
- Other general administrative duties as required.
- 1-2 years of work experience in marketing, public relations, or customer service.
- Experience supporting brand standards and executing projects according to marketing best practices.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Word, and Outlook. Experience scheduling Outlook calendar meetings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Experience multitasking and prioritizing in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to act independently, take initiative, and meet changing priorities.
- Successful experience working in, and contributing to, a collaborative, team environment.
- Experience with Tessitura or similar CRM/Marketing database.
- Understanding of social media marketing platforms.
- Demonstrated experience and investment in issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- This is an entry-level, salaried, non-union position.
- This position requires work from the DSO offices 3 days a week and occasional evening and weekend hours based on needs.
**Physical Requirements: **This role primarily works in an office environment, and frequently has prolonged periods of sitting and looking at a computer screen. Occasionally required to lift and carry 10-25 pounds. (See posting on DSO website for full details)
Benefits & Perks
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
The largest community on the web to find and list jobs that aren't restricted by commutes or a specific location.