Marketing Coordinator at San Francisco Symphony (US)
The San Francisco Symphony is widely considered to be among the most artistically adventurous and innovative arts institutions in the United States, celebrated for its artistic excellence, creative performance concepts, active touring, award-winning recordings, and standard-setting education programs. In the 202021 season, the San Francisco Symphony welcomed conductor and composer Esa-Pekka Salonen as its twelfth Music Director and embarked on a new vision for the present and future of the orchestral landscape. This exciting artistic future builds on the remarkable 25-year tenure of Michael Tilson Thomas as the San Francisco Symphonys Music Director. Tilson Thomas continues his rich relationship with the Symphony as its first Music Director Laureate. In their inaugural season together, Esa-Pekka Salonen and the San Francisco Symphony have introduced a groundbreaking artistic leadership model anchored by eight Collaborative Partners from a variety of cultural disciplines: Nicholas Britell, Julia Bullock, Claire Chase, Bryce Dessner, Pekka Kuusisto, Nico Muhly, Carol Reiley, and Esperanza Spalding. This group of visionary artists, thinkers, and doers joins with Salonen and the San Francisco Symphony to chart a new course of experimentation by collaborating on new ideas, breaking conventional rules, and creating unique and powerful experiences.
The San Francisco Symphony presents more than 220 concerts and presentations annually for an audience of nearly 450,000 in its home of Davies Symphony Hall and through its national and international touring. A cornerstone of the organization’s mission, the San Francisco Symphony’s education programs are the most extensive offered by any American orchestra today, providing free comprehensive music education to every first- through fifth- grade student in the San Francisco public schools, and serving more than 75,000 children, students, educators, and families annually. The San Francisco Symphonys recordings have won such awards as France’s Grand Prix du Disque and Britain’s Gramophone Award, as well as 16 Grammy Awards. San Francisco Symphony radio broadcasts, the first in the nation to feature symphonic music when they began in 1926, today carry the Orchestra’s concerts across the country. In 2004, the SFS launched the multimedia Keeping Score on PBS-TV and online and in 2014, the San Francisco Symphony inaugurated SoundBox, an experimental performance venue and music series located backstage at Davies Symphony Hall. February 2021 saw the launch of SFSymphony+, the San Francisco Symphonys on-demand video streaming service. For more information, visit
The San Francisco Symphony is committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion, equity, and diversity for our staff, musicians, patrons, and community. As leaders and innovators of our inherited tradition of orchestral music, we acknowledge our responsibility to identify and dismantle the oppressive barriers that we have historically maintained. We resolve to hold ourselves accountable, devote resources, and embrace change by centering racial equity and listening to and learning from marginalized voices.
We recognize that this is an ongoing, sometimes uncomfortable practice, and continue to learn and evolve. We welcome applicants who are enthusiastic to join us on this journey.
The Marketing Coordinator will provide ongoing support in all areas of the marketing department for the San Francisco Symphony. The Marketing Coordinator supports the development and execution of marketing campaigns through promotions, media partnerships, events, college student campaigns, and other activities. Working on a 5-member Marketing team, this position reports to the Associate Director of Growth Marketing and works collaboratively with them across multiple departments including Creative, Box Office/Patron Services, PR/Communications, Operations, Advocacy & Community and Engagement, and Development.
SALES CAMPAIGN EXECUTION AND REPORTING
- Assist with media planning and execution, including radio, video, digital, and print advertising.
- Work with Creative Services team on project requests for media buys by drafting creative briefs, clarifying asset requirements and deadlines, routing for approvals, and delivery to vendors.
- Coordinate with external media partners on requirements for media buys, ad flight details, and invoices.
- Maintain internal planning documents to inform project planning and budgeting.
- Coordinate marketing campaigns and digital initiatives for Chamber and Music for Families series.
- Coordinate the Symphony’s Student Rush Program, including planning and coordinating emails and advertising buys to increase engagement and attendance.
- Coordinate the schedule, storyboards, editing rounds, and delivery of marketing videos in collaboration with videographer.
- Assists in audience segmentation for promotional emails and direct mail using the Symphony’s CRM (Tessitura)
- Gather key metrics to track email and display ad performance and provide bi-weekly reports to Marketing teams
- Assist with preparation of marketing decks, recaps, and reporting on an ongoing basis
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND EVENT PLANNING
Coordinate, execute, and attend special promotional events including receptions and other on and off-site events such as free concerts, outdoor concerts, and tabling activities Coordinate distribution of promotional materials in support of all San Francisco Symphony marketing activities
- Conduct job functions and activities in alignment with the principles of the SFSs Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) work, ensuring presence of these goals in marketing and audience development; support the organizations DEI work through participation in working groups and other initiatives as possible.
- Ensure the timely activation of in-hall signage materials on a weekly basis, including planning, requesting, proofing, and installing new creative.
- Proofread all marketing materials
- Process invoices and aid in budget reconciliation
- Regularly attend San Francisco Symphony concerts and events as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-3 years related experience in B to C marketing, Advertising Agency, or Marketing/promotions
- Dedicated to and passionate about the arts. Knowledge of orchestra music is a plus.
- Superior capability managing details spanning multiple projects simultaneously. Demonstrated grace under pressure and ability to be flexible
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with cross-departmental members of Symphony organization
- Should have an interest, knowledge and passion for marketing, social media, and digital advertising
- Basic understanding of CRM and web analytics data
- Experience with MS Office and/or databases, specifically Tessitura, a plus
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and time-management skills able to frequently re-prioritize, evolve techniques and solutions as needed in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Creative thinker and problem-solver
- Sense of humor, positive can-do attitude are desirable assets
- Able to work occasional overtime, nights and weekends as needed
The largest community on the web to find and list jobs that aren't restricted by commutes or a specific location.